What is an EOS account?
An EOS mainnet account is a human-readable 12 character alphanumeric name consisting of lowercase letters a-z and digits 1-5. It is a username which is stored on the EOS blockchain and is connected to your private and public EOS keys. An EOS account is required for performing actions on the EOS blockchain, such as connecting to services like eosfinex, sending or receiving tokens, voting, etc.
EOS is a proof-of-stake blockchain, as such account creation is not free. Every account must be purchased and the funds required to purchase the account are used to "stake" for the minimum EOS network resources needed to interact with the blockchain. For the purposes of basic account creation it is not necessary to discuss network resources further, but if you wish to learn more about EOS and network resources we recommend this Investopedia article.
What is Scatter?
Scatter is a desktop EOS wallet that allows you to connect to the EOS blockchain network, manage tokens and identities and exchange value. If you do not already have a Scatter wallet you can visit Get-Scatter.com.
Creating an EOS mainnet account with Scatter
In this example we will discuss creating an EOS account using EOS tokens which are already available on an exchange or an existing EOS wallet. Purchasing an EOS account with a credit or debit card is discussed in a separate article.
Adding keys to Scatter
After you have installed and setup Scatter on your desktop device, open the section titled "Wallet". In this section Scatter supports the generation of new EOS public and private keys or importing existing keys. Keys are required to create an account and interact with the EOS blockchain.
If you already have keys which you have generated using another service select the method you prefer to import them. Scatter supports text, hardware and QR code.
If you choose to use Scatter to generate your keys follow the below steps:
- Click Generate Key
- Select EOSIO - This will create your EOS public and private keys and automatically save them to your Scatter wallet
- Important: Ensure that you export and store safely your keys. In the event that you lose your keys you may lose access to your account and funds.
Now that you have generated or imported public and private keys you can create your EOS account and username. In the wallet section you will see a new set of keys which you have added to Scatter, along with a message that "You don't have any accounts linked to this key". Follow the next steps:
- Click the button to "Create one now!".
- Select "Exchange" - This actually supports transfer of the required funds from an exchange or another EOS wallet.
- Input an account name, following the EOS account name creation rules of using only lowercase letters a-z and digits 1-5. E.g. account12345
- Send the funds required to create the account to "makeaccounts". This account will perform the transfers and actions necessary to create your account. Note: The cost of creating an EOS mainnet account varies day to day depending on the current price of EOS. When sending your EOS ensure to include the provided memo in the transfer memo field or your funds will be lost.
- After you have sent the EOS required to create the account click "Click after transfer". This will finish the process. Scatter will continue looking for 30 minutes for the transaction to fund the newly created account. When the transaction is processed on the EOS mainnet your account will automatically be added to Scatter. This typically takes a few minutes but can sometimes take longer.
Your new EOS account should be created and you can use it to connect to eosfinex. If you encounter problems feel free to reach out to the eosfinex community and our support team in the official eosfinex Telegram group: https://t.me/eosfinexproject